For those who actually read this, an update on Chaytor: the last week has gotten better. He is back on his "routine" ....just as I am about to leave for Paris. So...I'm not sure what this will do to him. He is staying with Jean, Robbie's mom and then with Chenoa during the weekend. I hope he doesn't break down about missing me. He's been doing that a lot about people, especially Cassie and Ben. They are his favorite sitters. They came home Friday to have a play date with them. They are wonderful and he was so happy to play at Cassie's house. And yes, he was sad when they brought him home, but he didn't break down. He did tell Cassie, as he was hanging onto her and Ben's pants legs, "You go to college and I will smack you in the face". NOW, we all know that is a terrible thing to say, but all 3 of us busted out laughing. It was hilarious....as we told him "Chaytor, that's not nice" and continued to chuckle some more!
Chaytor's OT, Ashley, offered to come over and help us with some ideas on how to make homework time easier on both of us. I love her to death. She is so great to do this. So, we will plan a time next week when I return from Paris.
Now, I know a few moms with special ed kids and they do have accommodations on their IEP that says only a certain amount of homework or none at all. And I do understand it. But here is my opinion and I know some people won't like this. I know what IEPs are for, I do. I have taught children for 9 years (I know, not a lot of time compared to some) and my own son has an IEP. And yes, I know he is only in kindergarten, but our jobs as parents and teachers are to prepare these children for the real world. And in the real world, there are no accommodations. I'm sorry, but we all know it's true. I understand extended time and all that, but to not make a child do something that is a part of the real world, and yes we real world people to have work to do at home, whether it's not finished AT work or whatever, but we do. If I baby him now, how much worse will it be in the future when homework is longer than an hour....how much worse will it be if it goes from no homework to 2 hours? I mean really. So, I'm not willing to fight that. Yes, I was upset and super frustrated, but it still gets done.
I teach high school and I have kids whose "butts have been wiped" for them all the way up to high school and they have no idea what responsibility is or accountability. And I have friends who work with teenagers in "real world" jobs and they complain about how the teenagers literally have no clue on these points. They have been told what to do , when to do it, and how to do that they do not know HOW to work without someone constantly there telling them what to do. They can't figure out what to do next unless someone is there pointing everything out. It's crazy. It's like our teenage generation has lost the common sense gene.
Ok, now that I vented about that....
I leave Wednesday for Paris, France with my mom, sisters, and other family friends. I'm nervous to leave Chaytor with everything going better. How will this effect him?
I've left him before, but I was only 4 hours away. This is different.
So, we will see if I have a whole other issue to deal with when I return.
No comments:
Post a Comment